Friday, November 02, 2007

Desparately Seeking Star Trek

So it turns out that of all of the places in the country showing the remastered double TOS episode The Menagerie on the big screen, Memphis doesn't qualify. Nashville gets three screens. Jesus even Knoxville and !@#$ing Little Rock are getting screenings?!? Little !@#$ing Rock!!!!!

On the plus side, I finally got to see the inside of Metalworks tonight.

UPDATE 11/04:
Forget the Trek. We're getting Emmet Otter. DIY wins again!

(And no, I'm not being snarky. I'm seriously so excited I'm having to restrain myself from waking Amber up to tell her.)

2 comments:

gatesofmemphis said...

What's double TOS mean, o' google proxy?

Metalworks and Archicast are the 2 places I made it in on the Broad Arts Walk, but loved them both.

And I gotta tell ya, although not a big Jim Henson fan, I do like Emmett Otter.

Justin W. McGregor said...

"Double" in this case meaning there were two parts when it originally aired and "TOS" is trekkie slang for The Original Series. Since there have been six tv series set in the Star Trek universe and some of them share partial or whole episode names between them, we the extremely geeky have taken to using a short hand notation to designate which series. I guess that would have been more properly written "TOS double episode."

Sometimes I'm a little too geek for my own good.

Amber and I did the whole of Broad but didn't make it over to the information center. I even ran into one of our co-workers in Metalworks. I also noticed that several of the spaces looked like they were in renovation, so here's hoping that we'll be seeing even more activity down there in the near future.

As for Emmet, I'm sure that it'll look very different through my adult eyes than it did when I was 8, but I'm still looking forward to it. Oddly enough, it was every bit as much a harbinger of Christmas as Vince Guaraldi music or Burl Ives as Sam the Snow Man.