Monday, June 04, 2007

Random Notes on a Monday

  • It's been a long time since Amber and I had a good solid argument about a piece of art, but the show at DLG on Friday made up for that. The crux of it came down the nature of objectification versus the rhetoric of technique. If you saw the show, you probably know exactly the painting we were discussing. Tangentially, I think it was a nice little visual joke to hang the boob next to the boobs... or maybe it's just me.

  • Even more tangentially, I'm not sure how I lived in Memphis this long and never knew the name Wayne Edge (apparently he's been here forever) but I was rather smitten with the thingness of his work. It will go on my list of things to acquire when I win the lottery/get a grownup job.

  • Somebody cut down all the trees on the street next to my office. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of Bradford pears, but Sweet Christ did they really have to remove the last vestiges of shade in this neighborhood. They made a nice break from the heat walking back up the street for lunch. Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to learn to cherish my now unimpeded view of the 5 acres of empty !@#$ing asphalt...

  • Also, Chris Peck on the Wolf River Greenway and Mediaverse-Memphis responds (about half way down the post).
UPDATE: I'd been wondering what was with all the Greenway news in the last few days, well apparently tomorrow's the vote...

2 comments:

Dwayne Butcher said...

it is funny you say "boob next to the boob", i thought the same thing. but, alan is a republican, or at least claims to be, and i am curious of what he thought of the placement. if anything, i will have to ask him that.
so, who won the arguement?

Justin W. McGregor said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought it. As for the argument, I'd like to call it a draw, but after 5 years of marriage I know better. :-)